Hi everyone! I don’t often tend to buddy read books. I think I might’ve done less than a handful of buddy reads in the past, but while doing our “best friends picks my TBR” blog posts Fadwa and I decided to buddy read Outrun the Moon by Stacey Lee together, and that led me to have a very fun, impulsive and possibly very dumb idea: let’s do a project in which I buddy-read books throughout February!
This was originally meant to be about 4 books, one for each week of February, but once I made a tweet about it asking who would want to buddy-read a book with me I once again ran into a big flaw of mine: I suck at saying no. And that’s how we’ve ended up here, with 11 books on my TBR and a very overwhelmed Laura.
Far From You by Tess Sharpe
It Ain’t So Awful Falafel by Firoozeh Dumas
Outrun the Moon by Stacey Lee
Seven Ways We Lie by Riley Redgate
Love Hate & Other Filters by Samira Ahmed
Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills
You Don’t Know Me But I Know You by Rebecca Barrow
Alex Approximately by Jen Bennett
Rebel Seoul by Axie Oh
Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston
Running With Lions by Julian Winters
I am incredibly excited about all of these books, and as far as I can see now this project/buddy reading in general has a few pros and cons:
- You can rant about books with a friend while you’re reading and experience the book together. This makes the whole reading experience a lot more fun, and your buddy-reading-partner/friend will enable you to see things about the book in a different perspective, and make you notice/think of things you wouldn’t have otherwise
- I haven’t been reading a lot of books from my physical TBR lately, and opting to read e-ARCs and audiobooks instead. This project will force me to actually get to those TBR books
- Because I’m buddy reading books with a few people I hardly know/don’t know at all, this could be a fun opportunity to get to know more people and maybe even form new friendships!
- Planning! I’m trying to fit all these books into my schedule while also working with other people’s schedules and… it’s hard. But I’ll make it work somehow!
- You can’t read in the pace you’re used to, and I feel like this is going to be the biggest problem for me. When I’m immersed in a book I want to keep reading and sometimes even finish the book in a day, and when I’m not feeling a book at all I wont want to pick it up on certain days and maybe take weeks to finish it or DNF it, but if I’m reading it with someone else I’ll have to force myself to slow down/speed up.
- I haven’t even started yet and the amount of books on my TBR and the “having to read everyday on a schedule” is already overwhelming me a little. While it’ll definitely be fun, getting to all of these books will probably be a struggle and I’ll definitely feel stressed while doing it. I’m just hoping it won’t stress me out too much.
So, I guess we’ll see how this goes! I’ll definitely update you all at the end of the month. You’ll either hear from a Laura who has read a ton of good books and had a lot of fun doing it, or an incredibly stressed Laura. Let’s hope it’s the former.